As a school, our daily prayer is for God to touch our children helping them make right decisions, teaching them to rely on God trusting His plan for their (our) lives. All instruction is based on
scripture, creating a sound foundation for the students as their life progresses.
Biblical thought and Christian perspective are integrated within each discipline. Teachers are viewed as the living curriculum whose impact is beyond the written text. All teachers believe the Bible to be the absolute standard of truth.
Subject Areas Include:
• Academics – La Progresiva Presbyterian School is an accredited Kindergarten through 12th grade institution and offers students the opportunity to complete a standard high school diploma, qualify for Bright Futures™ and other scholarships and seek admissions at any college or university desired.
• College Counseling – Students begin the process of exploring college options and building their college portfolio in the 9th grade. At each step along the way, students are advised on the process, including research of schools, college entrance exams, course scheduling, application materials, scholarships and financial aid. A parent workshop is held each year to share the latest information with parents and students.
• Bible – The purpose of this class is to help students establish a sure foundation for Christian living, while striving for spiritual knowledge and maturity. Providing class prayer and congregation with fellow believers. (Philippians 3:10 “That I may know Him, and the power of His resurrection.”)
• Athletics – The athletic department of LPS is dedicated to enriching the lives of its student-athletes through sports. Our athletic teams prove that hard work and dedication translates to success on the playing field and in the classroom. Beyond athletic achievement, the focal point of the program is seeing our student-athletes represent the character of Christ. As we play throughout the state, we want everyone watching to witness student-athletes who play with passion and purpose.
• Electives – (Art, Digital Media, Drama, Film, Health, Leadership, Photography, Physical Education, Speech and Spanish) – Diversified student courses are offered to enrich student knowledge and a variety of supplementary materials are used to enhance the instruction. (Luke 2:52 “And Jesus grew in wisdom (intellectual) and in stature (physical), and in favor with God (spiritual) and men (social).)
• Language Arts – BJU and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt curriculum are utilized in the Language Arts. Students are taught literature and composition each year. A special emphasis is placed on writing and vocabulary. Each grade level has grade-appropriate required reading lists. Furthermore, students are required to access iReady an online digital learning platform daily for 60 minutes as part of LPS’ Literacy Program.
• Mathematics – BJU and the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt curriculum are used in the math sequence. Basic skills are reviewed and emphasized throughout the middle and high school curriculum and are a significant factor in math courses and instruction. Four years of high school math are required for graduation. Furthermore, students are required to access iReady an online digital learning platform daily for 60 minutes as part of LPS’ Mathematics Program.
• Science – BJU, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and the A Beka curriculum are used in the teaching of science. Students develop observational skills as they study the universe God created. (Genesis 1:1 “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.)
• Social Studies – BJU, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and the A Beka curriculum are used in the teaching of history – being the study of man. The goal of these courses is to develop students’ understanding of and appreciation for God’s activity as seen in the record of man and his relationships.
Colossians 1:17 “He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.”
• Technology – Students in high school each receive an iPad for school and home use. Every classroom is fitted with an LCD Projector and a laptop that allow both teachers and students to actively participate in teaching and learning. Digital textbooks have replaced the need for large heavy backpacks, and online learning platforms give students and parents access to class materials 24/7. Elementary and Middle school students have access to a mobile computer cart enhancing their access to further digital media. All students in 1st through 12th grade are required to use the iReady Software, which is through Curriculum Associates’ a cloud-based system for math and reading delivering both an adaptive diagnostic assessment as well as instruction. The iReady system is aligned with Common Core standards, including a Common Core “readiness screener” designed to determine just how much of the new standards students have mastered, specifically tracking the academic gains of the individual child.
• Faculty – Our middle and high school teaching staff are degreed teachers with a passion for helping young people achieve the highest levels of success. Additionally, their personal commitment to the Christian faith allows them to provide counsel, leadership, and encouragement to their students in a season of life when many students are looking for a good role model.
Colossians 1:17 “He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.